The Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Department offers both non-audition track programs (Music Business and Recording Arts) and audition track programs (Music Performance, Singer/Songwriter, Music Business, and Recording Arts).
Non-Audition Track Programs: The MEIS non-audition programs in Recording Arts and Music Business are designed for students who seek careers working behind-the-scenes in the music industry and want minimal required performance courses in the curriculum.
Non-Audition Track Application Deadlines: Non-audition track applicants are not required to complete any additional requirements for admission other than being accepted to CU Denver. Non-audition track students can start during any CU Denver semester. The deadline to apply for the non-audition track programs are the same as the university application deadlines:
- Fall Semester start - August 1st
- Spring Semester start - January 1st
- Summer Semester start - May 15th
Audition Track Programs: The audition track programs are designed for students who seek careers as performers in the music industry and want lots of performance training and applied lessons in the curriculum. MEIS offers four audition track programs: Music Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, Recording Arts - Audition Track, and Singer/Songwriter. The audition track programs only accept students for a Fall Semester start. Applicants who do not complete the audition track requirements can start in a non-audition track program.
Audition Track Application Deadlines:
- Early Application Deadline: January 1st - Applicants who complete both of the audition track application requirements that are listed below by January 1st will be notified of their MEIS admission status by January 20th.
- Regular Application Deadline: April 15th - Applicants must complete the twp application requirements listed below to start in an audition track program for the following Fall Semester. Applicants who are admitted during the regular application period (January 1st - April 15th) will be notified of their admission decision on a rolling basis. All applicants will be notified of their admission decision within three weeks of completing the requirements.
- Late Application Deadline: June 30th - Late applicants will be considered on a space available and case by case basis. Please reach out to Dave Walter (email@example.com or 303-315-7487) if you have any questions.
FALL 2023 AUDITION TRACK REQUIREMENTS
- CU Denver Application - Applicants must apply to CU Denver through the Admissions Office Webpage
and be admitted in order to be considered
for admission to the MEIS Department.
- Audition - Applicants have the option to audition by video or on campus during one of our live audition dates.
- Video Audition Process - Applicants who choose to audition by video have two options for submitting audition videos: 1) Through the CU Denver application portal, either while applying to CU Denver or after applying to CU Denver. 2) Through our page on the GetAccepted.com website (please note that there is a $30 submission fee if using Acceptd). Once an applicant submits a video, our faculty will try to review it within one month. Applicants will be notified of the results by email once a decision is made.
- Live Audition Process - There are three remaining live audition dates for Fall 2023 applicants:
- Friday, February 3, 2023
- Friday, February 24, 2023
- Friday, March 10, 2023
To schedule an audition please email the faculty member listed on the audition requirement page for your instrument (below).
Audition Requirements by Instrument:
Electronic Digital Instrument
Guitar (Commercial, Jazz, Electric)
Voice (Contemporary, Commercial)
Audition Requirements for Songwriter Programs:
* For these two programs, applicants must accompany themselves on either piano or guitar.
* Music Business and Recording
Arts Audition Track applicants cannot choose the songwriter programs for
MEIS Open Houses - We host MEIS Open House events on each audition date.
Each Open House consists of a MEIS Overview session, a Q&A panel with current MEIS students, the opportunity to sit-in on a General Recital class, a faculty meet and greet, and a tour of our music facilities and recording studios. Attending an Open House is a sure way to get all your questions answered and to make sure that MEIS is the right fit for you. When scheduling an audition, make sure to also register to attend an Open House:
We also provide individual on-campus tours of campus and our music spaces for applicants and families. With at least two weeks notice, we are available for tours on most weekdays. Please reach out to Dave Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour.