Singer/Songwriter Audition Information
This audition information is for applicants who are applying to either the Singer/Songwriter Emphasis or the Songwriter Entrepreneur Emphasis. Applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Singer/Songwriter and Songwriter Entrepreneur Audition Requirements:
- On video verbally answer the following questions:
- When and why did you start writing songs?
- How did you find out about the CU Denver Singer/Songwriter and Songwriter Entrepreneur Programs?
- Why do you want to attend the CU Denver Singer/Songwriter Program or Songwriter Entrepreneur Program?
- Where do you see yourself after graduating from the Singer/Songwriter Program or Songwriter Entrepreneur Program?
- How do you see yourself utilizing the faculty, peer, networking, and equipment resources in the Singer/Songwriter or Songwriter Entrepreneur Program to achieve those career goals?
- Perform 2 original songs with lyrics and accompaniment. Please verbally describe your selections prior to performing them. Applicants must accompany themselves on either guitar or piano. If auditioning by video, both you and your accompaniment instrument must be visible in the video frame. The faculty will assess the songs/performances based on the following criteria:
- Intonation/pitch accuracy
- Solid rhythmic groove/steady tempo
- Diverse accompaniment styles on accompaniment instrument
- Quality of technique and skill level in voice and accompaniment instrument
- Utilization of dynamic range in voice and accompaniment instrument
- Emotional expressiveness
- Application of standard song forms (Verse/Chorus & AABA)
- Presentation of melodic and lyrical hooks
- Inclusion of major and minor triadic chords, and seventh chords, in accompaniment
- Exploration of various rhyme schemes (AABB, ABAB, AABCCB, etc.)
- Clarity of lyric meaning
- Natural lyric and melodic rhythm (speech-like lyrical meter - don’t acCENT the wrong sylABLE)
- Perform one cover song with lyrics and accompaniment. You can perform it identically to the recorded version, or you can make it your own by rearranging it to fit your performance style. Applicants must accompany themselves on either guitar or piano. If auditioning by video, both you and your accompaniment instrument must be visible in the video frame. Before you perform the cover song, give a brief verbal overview of why you chose the song and how it relates to or has influenced your personal writing style.
How to Submit an Audition Video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to Audition Live:
Our live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage. Faculty member Evan Reeves conducts the live auditions for the songwriter programs. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the audition process, please contact Evan at email@example.com. Please let Evan know your preference of audition date and time. Evan will respond with an audition time and the details.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc.
Reach out to Evan Reeves at firstname.lastname@example.org.