Guitar Audition Information
All guitar applicants applying to the Performance Track, Music Business - Audition Track, or Recording Arts - Audition Track must either submit an audition video or conduct a live audition (video conference this year). Applicants can choose between auditioning by video or by auditioning live (video conference this year). We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the CU Denver Slate application platform or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page.
Guitar Audition Requirements:
1. Repertoire: Choose two of the following musical selections to perform:
- A jazz, "Chord and Melody" type of arrangement for solo guitar.
- A single melodic line guitar solo based on a transcription of a jazz, fusion, pop, rock, or classical piece.
- A solo classical piece including any repertoire from Bach, Sor, Carcassi, Brouwer or any other
- A fingerstyle piece using alternate tuning or standard tuning like Michael Hedges or Leo Kottke
2. Chords: Demonstrate the following chord types in root-6 and root-5 positions: Maj7, 7, min7, min7(b5) and dim7,
min6, 13, 9 and min9.
3. Scales and Arpeggios: Perform the following:
- Two octave major scales in three different positions – pick any key.
- Seven Greek modes (one position per mode) – pick any key.
- Two octave, seventh chord arpeggios including: Major seventh, seventh, minor seventh, minor seventh flat five and diminished seventh – pick any root note.
How to submit an audition video:
- Record your audition video per the guidelines listed above. Please verbally describe your selections prior to performing them.
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver Slate application platform, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
- Audition videos will be reviewed by our faculty within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to schedule a live audition (video conference this year):
Applicants may choose to audition live (video conference this year) instead of submitting an audition video. The audition dates are listed on the MEIS How To Apply Page on our website.
- Guitar applicants can schedule an audition by contacting MEIS faculty member Paul Musso by email at email@example.com. Please let Paul know on which of our four audition dates you'd like to schedule your audition. Paul will respond with an audition time and the details.
- Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc. Students only need to bring a guitar, and are expected to be tuned up, ready to go, and dressed appropriately.
If you want to schedule a live audition or have questions about the guitar audition process, please contact Paul Musso at Paul.Musso@ucdenver.edu or call 303-315-5763.