Guitar Audition Information
The MEIS Department offers three guitar audition track programs: Guitar Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, and Recording Arts - Audition Track. The audition requirements listed below are for all three of these guitar audition-track options. Guitar applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Guitar Audition Requirements:
1. If auditioning by video, please start the video by verbally introducing yourself and describing your music training and background.
2. Repertoire: Choose two of the following musical selections to perform. Verbally introduce your selections prior to playing them.
- A jazz, "Chord and Melody" type of arrangement for solo guitar.
- A single melodic line guitar solo based on a transcription of a jazz, fusion, pop, or rock piece.
- A solo classical piece including any repertoire from Bach, Sor, Carcassi, Brouwer or any other
- A fingerstyle piece using alternate tuning or standard tuning like Michael Hedges or Leo Kottke
3. Chords: Demonstrate the following chord types in root-6 and root-5 positions: Maj7, 7, min7, min7(b5) and dim7,
min6, 13, 9 and min9.
4. Scales and Arpeggios: Perform the following:
- Two octave major scales in three different positions – pick any key.
- Seven Greek modes (one position per mode) – pick any key.
- Two octave, seventh chord arpeggios including: Major seventh, seventh, minor seventh, minor seventh flat five and diminished seventh – pick any root note.
How to submit an audition video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to audition live:
The live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage here. Faculty member Paul Musso conducts the live auditions. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the guitar audition process, please contact Paul at email@example.com. Let him know which live audition date you'd prefer and he'll respond to you with an audition time on your preferred date.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc. Students only need to bring a guitar, and are expected to be tuned up, ready to go, and dressed appropriately.
Email Paul Musso Paul.Musso@ucdenver.edu.