Violin/Viola Audition Information
All violin/viola applicants applying to the Performance Track, Music Business - Audition Track, or the Recording Arts - Audition Track must either submit an audition video or conduct a live audition. While a live audition is preferred, applicants may
upload an audition video through Acceptd at https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver for consideration.
All violin/viola audition videos or live auditions must include the following:
- Repertoire: Perform the solo parts of two musical selections with or without live or pre-recorded accompaniment based on the following examples:
- A piece which incorporates improvisation from a rock, jazz, country, pop or world music style.
- A "classical" piece from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century, or Contemporary Concert idioms, or any other comparable selection.
How to submit your audition video:
- Record your audition video per the guidelines listed above. All selections must be verbally labeled.
- Go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver; choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”
- Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video.
- Physical CD’s, DVD’s, and tapes will not be accepted. Emailed files and YouTube links are not acceptable.
- Audition videos for new MEIS applicants must be received no later than April 1st.
- Audition videos for current CU Denver MEIS students who wish to switch their emphasis/track for the Spring Semester must be received no later than November 20th.
Audition video follow-up and live audition information:
Audition videos will be reviewed by our faculty within three weeks of receipt. Faculty will contact applicants about next
steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission. Applicants may also
choose to live audition instead of submitting an audition video. The live audition dates are listed on the MEIS admission
page on our website: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/CAM/programs/meis/Pages/Admissions.aspx
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition
will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an
for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement,
If you want to schedule a live audition or have questions about the violin/viola audition process, please contact Gregory
Walker at Gregory.Walker@ucdenver.edu or call 303-315-7453.