Violin/Viola Audition Information
The MEIS Department offers three violin/viola audition track programs: Violin/Viola Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, and Recording Arts - Audition Track. The audition requirements listed below are for all three of these violin/viola audition-track options. Violin/Viola applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Violin/Viola Audition Requirements:
1) If auditioning by video, please start the video by verbally introducing yourself and describing your music training and background.
2) Perform the solo parts of two musical selections with or without live or pre-recorded accompaniment based on the following examples:
- A piece which incorporates improvisation from a rock, jazz, country, pop or world music style.
- A "classical" piece from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century, or Contemporary Concert idioms, or any other comparable selection.
How to submit an audition video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to audition live:
Our live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage here. Faculty member Gregory Walker conducts the live audition. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the violin/viola audition process, please contact Gregory at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let Gregory know on which of the four audition dates you'd like to schedule an audition. He will respond with an audition time and the details.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc.
Questions:Reach out to Gregory Walker at email@example.com