Drum Kit Audition Information
The MEIS Department offers three drum set audition track programs: Drum Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, and Recording Arts - Audition Track. The audition requirements listed below are for all three of these drum audition-track options. Drum applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Drum Kit Audition Requirements:
1) If auditioning by video, please start the video by verbally introducing yourself and describing your music training and background.
2) Repertoire: Perform two styles from the following grooves: Swing/Bebop, Funk/Rock, Afro-Cuban (mambo, Mozambique), Brazilian (bossa nova, samba), Jazz waltz
3) Brushes: Demonstrate a 4/4 or 3/4 groove with brushes.
4) Solo piece: Perform a media-tempo piece (76-120 beats per minute). The piece can be in any of the styles listed above.
- Introduce a theme.
- Develop or improvise on the theme.
- Return to the original theme with a clear, definite ending.
How to submit an audition video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to audition live:
Our live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage here. Faculty member Todd Reid conducts the live auditions. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the drum set audition process, please contact Todd at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let Todd know on which of our four audition dates you'd like to schedule an audition. He will respond with an audition time and the details.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc. For the live audition, please prepare one piece to perform. You may choose between a drum solo on a drum kit or a snare drum etude (like from “Portraits in Rhythm” by Anthony Cirone. No Drum corps parts, please).
Reach out to Todd Reid at Todd.Reid@ucdenver.edu.