Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) Audition Information
All Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) applying to the Performance Track, Music Business - Audition Track, or Recording Arts - Audition Track must either submit an audition video or conduct a live audition (video conference this year). Applicants can choose between auditioning by video or by auditioning live (video conference this year). We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the CU Denver Slate application platform or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page.
Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) Audition Requirements:
Perform one piece live (cannot be pre-recorded). The piece should be 3-5 minutes long in any style that demonstrates your skills and musicianship. This piece should demonstrate your abilities in area such as:
- Live effects processing
- Live looping
- Control surface facility (such as Ableton Push, Novation Launchpad, APC 40)
- Using iPhone or iPad as a secondary or primary sound source, using apps such as GarageBand for iOS, Animoog, Synth One, Filtatron, etc.
- Finger drumming and/or live synth playing
How to submit your audition video:
- Record your audition video per the guidelines listed above. Please verbally describe your selections prior to performing them.
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver Slate application platform, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
- Audition videos will be reviewed by our faculty within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to schedule a live audition (video conference this year):
Applicants may choose to audition live (video conference this year) instead of submitting an audition video. The audition dates are listed on the MEIS How To Apply Page on our website.
- EDI applicants can schedule an audition by contacting MEIS faculty member Todd Reid by email at email@example.com. Please let Todd know on which of our four audition dates you'd like to schedule your audition. Paul will respond with an audition time and the details.
- Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of a short demonstration of the piece described above. A sound system and cables to connect to it will be provided for your live in-person audition. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc.
If you want to schedule a live audition or have questions about the EDI audition process, please contact the Todd Reid at Todd.Reid@ucdenver.edu.