Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) Audition Information
MEIS offers three Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) audition track programs: EDI Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, and Recording Arts - Audition Track. The audition requirements listed below are for all three of these EDI audition-track options. EDI applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Electronic Digital Instrument (EDI) Audition Requirements: 1) If auditioning by video, please start the video by verbally introducing yourself and describing your music training and background.
2) Perform one piece live (cannot be pre-recorded). The piece should be 3-5 minutes long in any style that demonstrates your skills and musicianship. This piece should demonstrate your abilities in area such as:
- Live effects processing
- Live looping
- Control surface facility (such as Ableton Push, Novation Launchpad, APC 40)
- Using iPhone or iPad as a secondary or primary sound source, using apps such as GarageBand for iOS, Animoog, Synth One, Filtatron, etc.
- Finger drumming and/or live synth playing
How to submit an audition video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to Audition Live:
Our live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage here. Faculty member Todd Reid conducts the live auditions. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the EDI audition process, please contact Todd at email@example.com. Please let Todd know on which of our four audition dates you'd like to schedule an audition. He will respond with an audition time and the details.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of a short demonstration of the piece described above. A sound system and cables to connect to it will be provided for your live in-person audition. The audition will also be an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc.
Reach out to Todd Reid at Todd.Reid@ucdenver.edu.