Bass Audition Information
The MEIS Department offers three bass audition track programs: Bass Performance, Music Business - Audition Track, and Recording Arts - Audition Track. The audition requirements listed below are for all three of these bass audition-track options. Bass applicants can choose between auditioning by video or auditioning live. Please read through the audition requirements below and the information about how to audition.
Bass Audition Requirements:
1. If auditioning by video, please start the video by verbally introducing yourself and describing your music training and background.
2. Perform two pieces of varying styles. It is preferred to have one of the styles be jazz-based. Other style options include rock, R&B, funk, and classical.
3. Perform a 30-second style demonstration choosing from two of the following: jazz, walking bass, funk, tapping, R&B or rock.
4. Perform the following:
- One octave arpeggios scales of the following - Maj7, dominant 7, minor 7, minor 7 b5, and fully diminished seventh.
- Perform all seven Greek modes - one octave - any key.
How to submit an audition video:
After recording your audition video per the guidelines listed above, decide how you will submit your video. We offer two platforms for video audition submissions: 1) Through the portfolio section on CU Denver application portal or 2) through our GetAcceptd.com page ($30 fee to submit through Acceptd).
- If submitting the video using the CU Denver application portal, either submit the video in the portfolio section when applying to CU Denver or go back into your application portal after you've already applied to upload your video in the portfolio section.
- If submitting the video through our page on GetAccetpd.com, go to https://app.getacceptd.com/ucdenver. Then choose your Program Group (emphasis area) and Program (instrument). Click “Get Started!”. Follow the registration instructions to create your account and upload your video. Please note that it costs $30 to submit an audition video through Acceptd.
We try to review audition videos within three weeks of receipt. Applicants will be contacted about next steps. Faculty may request that applicants conduct a live audition in addition to the video submission.
How to audition live:
The live audition dates are listed on our MEIS applicant webpage here. Faculty member Paul Musso conducts the live auditions. To schedule a live audition or get questions answered about the bass audition process, please contact Paul at email@example.com. Please let Paul know on which of our four audition dates you'd like to schedule an audition. He will respond with an audition time and the details.
Live auditions typically take 20-30 minutes and will take place in the Arts Building on the Auraria Campus. The audition will consist of sight-reading and a short demonstration of the pieces described above. The audition will also feature an opportunity for the prospective student to ask questions regarding the program, applied lessons, ensemble placement, etc. Students only need to bring a bass, and are expected to be tuned up, ready to go, and dressed appropriately.
Reach out to Paul Musso at Paul.Musso@ucdenver.edu.